Source: University Health Network
Job Title: Senior Bioinformatics Analyst
Job Number: CAAR919696
Job Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posted: 16 May 2023
Job Posting #: 919696
Site: Toronto Western Hospital (TWH) – Krembil Discovery Tower
Department: Donald K. Johnson Eye Institute, Krembil Research Institute
Reports to: Co-Director and Senior Scientist
Hours: 37.5 per week
Salary: $36.88 to $46.10 per hour commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN per hour commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN compensation policy
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Posted Date: May 17, 2023
Closing Date: Until filled
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Senior Bioinformatics Analyst in our Donald K. Johnson Eye Institute.
We are looking for a bioinformatician with demonstrated experience single-cell RNA sequencing analysis. The anticipation is that this qualified person will be able to work with scRNAseq and spatial Seq datasets and be able to incorporate the latest multiomic analysis tools.
This is an opportunity to work with state-of-the-art data in the context of novel stem cell and disease models of eye and congenital brain disorders. There will also be opportunities for collaborative work in adult onset neurodegeneration.
The successful applicant will be expected to bring novel ideas and approaches to the research program and contribute to the scientific development of the analysis plan and manuscript preparation.
A competitive compensation package will be offered based on demonstrated experience.
- Establish NGS data analysis pipelines for read alignment, targeted sequencing, mapping, annotation, variant calling, cell clustering and differential gene expression analyses.
- Identify areas for improvement in NGS data processing/interpretation and propose and implement solutions.
- Explore public biological databases and open source bioinformatics tools, suggest integration approaches and build prototype models.
- Work closely with researchers to provide technical support for scientific discoveries and model developments.
- Has solid grasp of the fundamentals and jargon of the domain-specific material.
- Work with research groups to plan, implement and coordinate all aspects of data collection and/or analysis.
- Participates partially or fully in initial project design, selection and development of procedures.
- Participates directly in mid-level data analysis, including application of statistical analysis techniques using standard software.
- Performs complex data manipulations without assistance.
- Performs data conversions (as required) without assistance or existing tools.
- Participates directly in mid-level complexity software or data analysis/visualization method development and implementation.
- Assists in interpretation of results and preparation of material for presentation, publication, and/or grants.
- Assesses literature in the field of study.
- Completion of MSc/PhD/M.D. degree, in relevant field of study.
- Published experience in scRNAseq data analysis.
- Interest in neuroscience and willingness to learn about retinal disease.
- Ability to advise/mentor fellow institute members in bioinformatics analysis strategies.
- Ability to work independently from home and on-site, and also function as part of a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure and use good judgment in assessing difficult situations.
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Problem-solving initiative.
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive offer packages
- Government organization and a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP https://hoopp.com/)
- Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- A flexible work environment
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
You will be asked to submit one letter of motivation, a brief one page statement of research interests, up-to-date CV with publications and two references.
To apply to this job, please click on the link, fill out and submit the application form. Click to apply here:
PDF version of this advertisement: