The research team at The CERVO Brain Research Center in Quebec City is looking for a research professional in the laboratory of Dr. Chantelle Sephton: https://cervo.ulaval.ca/en/chantelle-f-sephton
Research area: The main research objective of the lab is to determine how RNA processing is impaired in neurodegenerative diseases. We will achieve this by studying the RNA-binding proteins that are mutated in the motor neuron disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). We will use our mouse models and cell culture models of ALS to study the function of RNA-binding proteins and the effectiveness of therapeutic drug treatments. The results of these studies will provide insight into how impaired RNA regulation can cause ALS and we will use this information to develop targeted therapeutic treatments to treat the disease.
Research project: The current project in the Sephton laboratory requires a research professional to conduct preclinical testing of drugs in ALS mouse models as a proof of concept for the therapeutic treatment of ALS.
Under the supervision of Dr. Chantelle Sephton, the research professional’s main responsibilities are to:
- Co-ordinate, conduct and analyze the results pertaining to the ongoing research program;
- Work under minimal supervision for many tasks;
- Supervise the people under his responsibility and ensure the quality and relevance of the results;
- Ensure the coordination of research activities in close collaboration with students (ethical authorizations, purchases, communication with partners);
- Participate in data collection (administration of tests, laboratory measurements), data entry and analysis;
- Contribute to the dissemination of research results (scientific articles, presentations, and knowledge transfer);
- Conduct scientific literature reviews to support project development.
Note: Responsibilities could be modulated according to the experience of the candidate
Candidates should have some experience in animal handling (mice or rats) and experience in animal handling (e.g. i.p. injection and behavioral testing) as well as experience in molecular biology (PCR, purification DNA) and in biochemistry (Western blot, protein determination)
- Must hold a Bachelor of Science in one of the following fields: biochemistry, neuroscience, genetics or molecular biology (candidates holding a master’s or doctoral degree are also invited to apply);
- Sense of organization, initiative, rigour, flexibility and autonomy;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Ease in the use of various computer software;
- Language proficiency (English-intermediate and French-advanced)
- Type of employment: Initial one-year contract with possibility of renewal.
- Schedule: Full time, 35 hours per week.
- Salary: According to qualifications and experience.
- Contribution to the Government and Public Employees Retirement Plan (RREGOP);
- Group insurance (after three months of work) and paid at 50% by the employer;
- 5 paid sick days per year;
- 13 paid statutory holidays per year.
Interested persons are invited to send a cover letter and their Curriculum vitae at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting end date 2023/03/31