Position Title: Research Associate 1, (Grant & Trust Professional)
Employer: University of Guelph (Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College)
Term: Temporary full time (15 month contract to start as soon as possible)
Hours: Full-time (35 Hours/Week)
Number of Positions: 1
Hiring Ref. Number: 2022-0604
N.B.: Please read the Application Instructions before applying: https://www.uoguelph.ca/hr/careers-guelph/how-apply
The Khokhar Lab researches the interactions between substance use and serious mental illness, with an eye toward treatment of these disorders using a variety of behavioural and circuit-interrogation methods. The Research Associate is responsible for the following main duties:
- conducts behavioural experiments assessing the effects of cannabinoids in a variety of animal models of addiction (e.g., withdrawal, conditioned place preference and self-administration/free-access intake) and serious mental illness (e.g., prepulse inhibition, latent inhibition);
- provides input with respect to appropriate methodology, procedures, equipment and standards to produce required research data;
- applies specialized knowledge and principles to review, appraise and interpret published literature, summarize research findings, and draft scientific/technical reports, manuscripts, grant proposals;
- establishes and maintains effective relationships with external partners, which may include coordinating of project plans, presenting research findings (may include presenting findings at conferences).
Education, Skills, Work Experience and other Requirements:
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline combined with at least 3-5 years of relevant research experience with behavioural paradigms including: withdrawal, conditioned place preference, self-administration/free-access intake, prepulse inhibition, latent inhibition;
- Experience coding with behavioural control software (e.g., Med Associates or equivalent), and using behavioural assessment software (e.g., Noldus Ethovision or equivalent) and statistical analysis software packages (e.g., SPSS or R);
- Proven ability in methodology, procedures, equipment and standards to produce required research data;
- Proficiency in summarizing research findings, reviewing, appraising and interpreting published literature;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Self-motivated and able to work collaboratively within a team environment;
- Experience with in vivo electrophysiology is considered an asset.
Salary: $54,107 – $62,168
Vacation Pay: accrual rate of 1.25-1.83 days/month
Benefits: Extended Health, Basic Life Insurance (up to specified maximums), Dental coverage subject to minimum employment contract and minimum workload thresholds being met and Long Term Disability subject to minimum employment contract and minimum workload thresholds being met (payable to a maximum of 5 years).
Location of Employer: 50 Stone Road, Guelph, ON N1G2W1
Location of Work: Guelph, ON
Language of Work: English
All Canadian citizens or permanent residents who qualify are invited to apply by sending their Cover Letter and CV (including list of publications demonstrating relevant experience), quoting hiring number 2022-0604, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the following address: 50 Stone Rd E, Guelph ON N1G 2W1 (Attention: Human Resources).
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.