- Position Title: Post-Doctoral Fellow
- Job Class: Under Review
- Dept/Program: Research & Academics
- Rate of Pay: Under Review
- Employment Type: Temporary Full Time up to 2 years
- Employee Group: Non-Union
- Work Schedule: 37.50 hours weekly as per schedule
- Posting Date: April 25, 2019
- Posting Type: Open
- Number: 1
- Shift Type: Days
The goal of the Waypoint Research Institute is to advance evidence-based mental health and addictions research to improve clinical care.
Waypoint Research Institute has identified four thematic areas that embody our core commitment to research excellence:
- Risk Factors and Assessment
- Treatment and Transitions
- Knowledge Translation
A Post-Doctoral Fellowship is available under the supervision of Dr. Nathan Kolla, Vice President, Research & Academics, and in association with the Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto. This Fellowship offers the opportunity to gain and contribute knowledge to the area of risk factors and assessment. The ideal student is interested in forensic mental health, psychopathy, genetics, neuroscience and risk factor identification.
- Develop and implement work plans for current and new research projects as well as coordinate, oversee and execute study procedures and research protocols.
- Apply for funding (award applications) to local, provincial, and/or national research agencies.
- Recruit and conduct patient testing as per research protocol.
- Collect, clean, and analyze data; develop and oversee the maintenance of research databases; conduct descriptive and inferential data analyses.
- Prepare, edit, and format manuscripts for publications and grant applications.
- Publish original research results obtained during tenure in appropriate journals and other recognized media including the preparation of research summaries for display on the Institute’s website.
- Prepare presentations and posters to communicate research findings; attend scientific conferences to present results (subject to the availability of travel funds).
- Support and collaborate with other members of the Institute’s research team.
- Conduct literature reviews and other background research for manuscript and grant writing.
- Discuss research findings with research team, collaborative partners, other researchers, etc.
- Work collaboratively with the Institute’s team, clinical staff, and external clinical and academic institutions.
- Participate in training and educational activities.
- Supervision of undergraduate and graduate students may be required.
- A Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent degree with an emphasis on mental health.
- Prior experience in a clinical mental healthcare environment; forensic experience preferred.
- Current knowledge of and experience with advanced research design, research methodologies, patient recruitment and testing, data analysis, genetic screening, and risk assessments.
- Advanced statistical training and knowledge of statistical software packages (e.g., SPSS).
- Evidence of experience in preparation and publication of manuscripts, including at least two first author publications (accepted or in press); strong technical writing skills.
- Results-oriented work ethic to work independently and undertake tasks needed to accomplish work objectives and deliver quality, consistent and timely results.
- Demonstrated leadership, conflict resolution, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to adapt readily to change.
- Models and promotes core ethical practice, Waypoint Values, and reflects an optimistic and positive attitude.
- Proficiency in French/English language skills preferred
How do I apply?
Waypoint employees apply through the Employee Self-Service portal at https://employees.waypointcentre.ca and external applicants apply to http://www.waypointcentre.ca/i_want_to/join_your_team by close of business (5:00 pm) on May 9th, 2019 quoting Job ID WC18-311. Attach your cover letter and resume detailing why you are interested in this opportunity and how you meet the qualifications and key accountabilities specified.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued and respected. Waypoint offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of our recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position, however, due to high volumes only those selected for an interview will be contacted.